Colourful Jade

Sunday, November 19, 2006

different stroke for different people

Finally, it came the day when we were chased out of the house. It was a group punishment. Our crime was watching the idiot box past midnight. Normally we got away for doing it but on this particular night it was a big no-no. First came the warning and the sound was muted. Second time, our mother came charging us and we ran in all directions. Then she opened the front door and screamed at us to get out.

‘You all get the hell out of here, @#**@##.....’ the mother from hell shrieked at us. All of us rushed out of the door and into the darkness of the night.

My brother managed to open the side door and we crept inside the house quietly and into our respective rooms. Years later, I used that entrance to sneak in after my dates.

That night was a prelude to what was going to happen in several occasions when our father came home in the wee hours of the morning. On one occasion, we got back into our rooms as usual but this time I had the foreboding that Mother would not let us off so easily. She was fuming with fury and we weren’t ordered out. We ran for our lives as she came charging us with murder in her eyes. We managed to get out through all exits in the single-storey house.

By the time we got back into our room, my sister dropped onto her bed and prepared to go to sleep. I knew better than anyone that when my mother was in this kind of mood it would be unfinished business if she didn’t vent it on some scapegoats. Boys were not her main targets.

I used my pillows and set up a dummy on my bed and then covered it with my blanket and then I slept under my bed with my bolster as my protector. I was awoken by my sister’s cry and the whizzing of the cane. Being forewarned I was forearmed, so I pressed myself against the side of the wall.

It didn’t take long for my mother to discover the dummy on the bed and soon she got down on her knees and aimed the cane at me.

‘I’m sorry, don’t beat me!’ My bolster was ever ready to receive the cane.

‘Come out!’

I was no moron, it would be suicidal to come out. My mother’s busy hand was never still.
I cried even louder every time the cane touched my bolster. The ordeal was over with the slamming of the door.

Poor sister was whimpering on her bed. The welts of cane marks on her body proved how vicious our mother was in her anger. I was unmarked.

I wasn’t that lucky most of the time. Sometimes, I was too tired to hide from her. Surrender was bliss, less taxing on the mind, the waiting game, the guessing game…. Sometimes, she left the house in a bad mood and then came home in a good one. Sometimes, she left in a good mood and came back in a bad cloud.

Years later I met a woman who was a few years younger than my mother. She was stuck in a marriage which she didn’t want to get out. She inflicted pains on herself to attract her husband’s attention. I would like to hear the viewpoints of someone who has a mother like that.

6 Comments:

  • Omigod! Poor you! I'm lucky not to have a mother like that and I pray to God that I would never be a mother like that.
    I guess your mom in her way wanted attention from your dad and when she didn't get it, used you and your sister as her punching bags.

    By Blogger jujuqtpie, At November 20, 2006 at 10:48:00 PM PST  

  • if only you know how much i held back. thnx 4 comment.

    By Blogger Colourful Jade, At November 21, 2006 at 3:18:00 AM PST  

  • hi i was bloghopping and came across your blog. I'm sorry to hear all that you have been through. I had parents who were hot tempered too, and we used to get beaten with canes and belts occasionally when we were young, and punishment like sleeping outside was a norm too. My parents have mellowed down a lot over the years. I guess I can understand that during those early years they must've been stressed out with work and such, and us being the helpless ones happened to be readily available as scapegoats to vent out their stress and frustrations. Although they have not 100% changed, the abusive part has stopped. My younger siblings are the lucky ones compared to me (I'm the eldest). Yes the memories still hurt eventhough I have long since forgiven them. My only concern is my ability to not repeat such things to my own children, come what may. Sometimes its hard, and the first few years of marriage with a child for me was a struggle, because yes it is true, abuse can be a vicious cycle. But what the previous generation lack in knowledge, we have in abundance today in various forms - self help books, documentaries, internet and even blogs! :) So hopefully with all the available help, we the victims can put a stop to the cycle, and have a better family life experience with our children.

    By Blogger The Hand That Holds The Quill..., At December 28, 2006 at 7:59:00 PM PST  

  • hi, thanks for sharing with me your experience. to forgive is easy but to forget is not something you can close your door on it.
    my youngest sister still has the chords of memories that give her nightmares, at least three times a year. she can't even walk away from all those bad memories. in her own way she has tried to be a better mother. she has chosen to be a friend. by the time she realised her mistake, her children are not malleable toddlers. toddlers must know first and foremost who the boss is. not to mention a loving heart and a firm hand to guide them.
    the theory is that when you don't get love you don't know how to give it is not foolproof. i believe we are what we make ourselves of. if you have nothing in your heart to give then you have nothing. all the books in the world would never help you. on the other hand, there's hope for abuse victims who look for answers to help them to resolve their painful past.

    By Blogger Colourful Jade, At January 4, 2007 at 12:42:00 AM PST  

  • I always believe there are two ways you can go. One is to be exactly like your parents and the other to be the complete opposite. But there are ways and there are ways to be different
    I mean we can be different by being friends with our kids and totally avoid conflict; so, that's bad OR we can be different by being authoritative type parents, which is good; and as long as there is a will to be different, then the effort will make us different as we are consciously making the effort. God! Am I confusing or what?

    By Blogger jujuqtpie, At January 4, 2007 at 10:13:00 PM PST  

  • maybe what we need to do is to strike a happy medium. sometimes we forget children do have feelings, so it is very important that we treat them with care and respect. to have a sense of security they need to know that they are loved unconditionally. another thing to remember is to love them equally. even if you can't, please don't show favouritism.
    i remember at one time my elder son wanted a playstation set badly because most of his friends had them. i told him i loved him but i didn't think it was good for him. if he still thought he wanted one then i would ask one of his friends' mother to adopt him. after that the subject was closed.

    By Blogger Colourful Jade, At January 6, 2007 at 3:21:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home