Colourful Jade

Thursday, February 8, 2007

So heartbreaking

When people aptly made unfavorable comparisons to my youngest sister, my mother would take it as a personal insult that she had unattractive daughter. It didn’t sit well with my mother and she was quick to vent it out on the person concerned. Because of the belief, my sister was treated like a real-life Cinderella, she was to stay at home, not to be seen or recognized as her daughter. And because of that too, my mother used to send my youngest sister to run errands at odd hours.

Years later, my sister told me that one night our mother asked her to buy a box of mosquito coils and threatened her with a beating if she didn’t come home with it. It was past the closing time of the sundry shop. My sister went from one shop to another. In her desperation she knocked hard on each and every shop and caused a ruckus. But out of the three sundry shops, only one displeased shopkeeper opened his door. He started to scold my sister for disturbing his sleep. She began to cry and explain that a box of mosquito coils would save her from a beating. Anyone with a heart wouldn't have denied her plea .

My sister told me that on one occasion she was trailing after our parents and brothers as my father was taking photographs of them in the compound of our house. Every time my sister managed to get a spot next to our brothers, my father would move away without taking the picture. It dawned on to her that they didn’t want her to be in the photograph. It was confirmed when she heard them say they didn’t want her to spoil the picture.

Are you sure you got it right? It was hard to believe at first that my father and my mother shared the same way of thinking. But you are not ugly, I assured my sister while absorbing the new information and seeing my father in a different light. He was indifferent but never cruel. So I didn't really know him.

Another heart-breaking story she told me was that she used to squat near the doorway of our parents’ bedroom. It was also one of those rare occasions when our father was home early and playing with our younger brothers. They sounded happy as they laughed and played like one happy family and my sister was like the outsider looking in.

During the school holidays, I normally spent them staying with one aunt or another. It wasn’t out of the kindness of my mother’s heart that she gave me time-out to be happy. It so happened I was invited by my cousins. Maybe she took pride that I was popular with my cousins. I don’t really know how my mother’s mind worked. One time I was even invited by her tailor to accompany her and her nephew to Penang. Permission was given. I was allowed to follow her home on another occasion.

My two sisters said I was luckier than them because I was allowed to go places. They said though I didn’t get our parents’ love I’d got it from our relatives. At that times I just went on with my own life, didn’t know that my sisters thought I was luckier than them. I didn’t know that my youngest sister hardly went anywhere.

One fine day, my mother came home from the market and told my youngest sister to bathe and dress nicely. My sister said she could remember how happy she was because our mother was taking her out. Little did she know that what she expected had nothing to do with our mother’s plan. The destination was about ten houses away. When they reached there my mother’s friend came out, my mother grabbed my sister’s hand and dragged her into the house. My sister started to cry when she realized that my mother was going to leave her there for the next few hours. My mother’s warnings soon translated into slaps when my sister refused to stop crying.

5 Comments:

  • Hie Jaylina,
    Earlier I missed your comment and question in my posting, A Crying Shame.

    So circumstances made your mother harsh to her children. She seemed to have a lot of hard knocks in her life. I can see she was caught in a vicious circle as she had been on the receiving ends from one abusive man to another. In addition to that she had to work hard to provide for her kids. I guess when things became unbearable she just lashed out at her children to save her sanity or maybe she had a touch of insanity. Her abusive behavior is understandable.

    My father was a good provider but he wasn’t a good father. In my mother’s book he wasn’t even a good husband. My mother was a lady of leisure. She was hardly at home. While my father was at work she was out shopping, gambling, watching movies etc. But the way she put it, she was the long-suffering mother who brought up her seven children single-handedly. She could fool people she’d just met. During the weekends my father disappeared with his fishing or hunting buddies. Weeknights, my father stayed up late drinking with his drinking buddies.

    My mother was a discontented woman who wanted more than my father could provide because she would complain and complain. Normally, my father kept quiet. I think he took to drinking to take the edge off and make life bearable with my mother.

    Little did my mother know that she was driving her man away with her incessant complaints. Even when my father was at home he would either watch TV or read newspaper. When my mother was in a good mood she would talk like a magpie. When her mood was bad she would turn nasty and pick a victim (she only picked on daughters) to beat in front of my father. It seemed she pulled out all the stops to beat her daughters. The more nonchalant my father was the more vicious she would be. The victim was caught in a lose-lose situation. She received no help, no comfort from her father who said nothing.

    By Blogger Colourful Jade, At February 8, 2007 at 10:39:00 AM PST  

  • Hi,

    Guess after all my mum not so bad huh! But I tell u, my mum will not be the first person to know if I hv problems for all her beatings had made me stay away from her. I guess I got the most beaten from her compared to the other siblings of mine coz she can never touch me in the present of my dad. If she complaint about me, she will be ignored completely. So she thought it's ok to punish me more than others. My mum knows hw to manipulate too. If she wants something from my dad she'll use me. When I was young, I have to ask for things she wanted or else the beatings await me later. As long as I asked I'm ok regardless if she got it or not. Now looking back at it, I guess what she asked were reasonable. Money to buy rice for example, our school fee or whatever needed for the house. I must have an angle touch I think, for my requests were seldom rejected. My dad will try to work for them. If he really couldn't fulfill it, then we will not see him for a long time. But being me, I hate to ask therefore I took my chances most of the time. Till now my eldest bro (who suffered the most) hates my dad coz he is the one who took the father's role as a provider. We really do not hv a 'normal' family. My bro does not talk to my dad n always tries to avoid him. Funny things abt us...we never talk abt our past like u do wt ur sis n bros or may be they don't talk abt it when I'm ard since everybody knows I'm dad's pet. And my dad is my dad...I'm the place for him to pore his feelings. He regretted his past but the past is the past... none can be done.

    By Blogger Unknown, At February 8, 2007 at 11:06:00 PM PST  

  • Hi J,

    You are your daddy’s girl and no matter how terrible he had been, you’ll always have good memories of him. You remember him for making you the special one (his pet) out of his seven children. In short you have a special spot for him in spite of him being a rotten husband. Although you and I had been through a childhood whereby we both were physically abused by our mothers, our cases are so different.

    In your case, I believe it was the hard life that made your parents abusive, your father to your mother and your mother to the kids. The hardship was made harder by your father’s gambling.Imagine, he came home losing whatever money he had and your mum started to tell him she needed money for this and that must have been the last straw.

    Probably, your mum picked on you the most to vent her anger and frustration is because your dad favored you and subconsciously, she was getting back at your dad through you.

    Maybe your eldest brother’s anger and hatred run deeper than being forced to be provider at a young age. Helplessly, watching his dad beat his mother wouldn’t be something your brother would forget in a hurry. Maybe he blamed himself for being unable to protect your mother from your dad’s violence. He’s hated your dad for hurting your mum and the hardship because of his gambling.

    The last few years before my father passed away he was a changed man. I could see the little things he did in the house and his pleasure when all his children gathered under his roof. My father was a MCP (male chauvinist pig). He never lifted a finger to help in the house. Rarely, he had dinner with us and when he came home after our dinner, either one of his daughters would serve him the rice and the tea. After he finished his meal he would ask the first daughter he saw to clear the table.

    After he retired, he even tried his hands on cooking. One day he was home alone with my youngest sister. She knew he was preparing a meal for both of them. Before he finished cooking she sneaked out of the house. When she told me, my first reaction was like “Oh my God, how could you do that?” She’d have felt awkward sharing a silent meal alone with him. She chose to escape.

    Even when we, his adult children, were at home and making so much noise among ourselves, he was the odd one out because we didn’t know how to strike a conversation with him. Old habit died hard with us, we got tongue-tied around him. We’ve had no hard feelings toward our father especially when he did try to get close to us before he died.

    Only the daughters talk about the past as the sons weren’t so badly affected, so they don’t have much to share. However, when they reached adulthood they’ve gradually come to see our mother’s true color. She is a difficult woman and we don’t tell her personal stuff let alone the problematic ones. I’ll tell you this, based on past experiences it is less stressful not to tell her your problem and if you do, it’s like adding a new problem to your existing one. The only thing that makes her happy is giving her money. To her, love is money.

    By Blogger Colourful Jade, At February 11, 2007 at 8:07:00 AM PST  

  • Sigh, I really feel for you two. I guess I am very lucky. My family is very close. I share a lot with my mom. I remember in uni, when i was stressed out, I always called home. And though Mom can't offer solutions, she asked the right questions that got me back on the right track. Of course my mom is not perfect. And neither is my dad. And when they fight, the whole house can hear. LOL But the beauty of their marriage is that they know how to make up and my dad knows how to treat my mom well and vice versa. Dad said not to worry about my mom as long as he's still around and if we want to give money, give his share to her. But if I give my mom money, she spends on my kids. So I have learnt to buy her the things she needs, if not the money will go back to my kids. Haha.
    I know my experience is nothing like yours. Thank God but I guess if we already know our mom's true colours, we have to accept them for who they are and not expect miracles. U know, they are not going to change now. Just walk around them. Am I confusing?

    By Blogger jujuqtpie, At February 21, 2007 at 1:25:00 AM PST  

  • Hate to say it but you are a little confusing. Are you trying to say that it’s like flogging a dead horse? I can see why it’s hard for you to imagine. It is because you haven’t walked in the shoes of an abused victim. Sad stories from dysfunctional families may stir you to sympathize. Only people who have gone through a miserable childhood can understand that this kind of upbringing can retard their development as a confident individual, to say the least.

    When you have an abusive mother who almost destroyed you as a child, it is a miracle that you are still there for her, knowing fully well that her only love is money and herself. Yes, you can accept her for her warts and all but you can’t prevent the memories from the past to come back to haunt you from time to time especially when she isn’t giving you nicer memories to replace the old ones. It doesn’t help if your mother shows no repentance or makes no atonement. The new hurt is that your mother just sees you as her personal ATM.

    By Blogger Colourful Jade, At February 24, 2007 at 12:34:00 AM PST  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home